TheStore Ltd is committed to minimising the impact of its activities on the environment.
We're not perfect but we're trying our best to be as green as we can and here's just a few of the ways we're trying to do our bit:
We always aim to source our products as responsibly as possible, for example:
- Our stacking plastic recycle bins are made locally in the UK from 90% recycled plastic unlike some we've tested and rejected that are wastefully transported from the other side of the world (and aren't even manufactured from recycled plastic!).
- 15% of global seagrass resources are facing extinction due to sedimentation from deforestation alongside agricultural and sewage run-off. Accordingly, we insist our seagrass baskets and wicker storage boxes are harvested from sustainable resources. Alongside this we work with niche basket makers and local co-operatives to weave our wicker storage, which we belive is better for the environment, local economic sustainability and allows us to focus on quality products.
- Our wooden storage furniture is sourced from sustainable woodland. Much of it is harvested locally in the EU and where possible we always insist on FSC registered products to guarantee social and environmental standards.
- Currently, 94% of all customer deliveries from STORE are dispatched in recycled boxes and packaging. They may not look as pretty as purpose-made cardboard boxes but we think you'll be more interested in the goodies inside and the fact that we're actually recycling rather than discarding packing boxes
- Every single item of plastic, card and paper waste that is generated at STORE is sent to our mail-order distribution centre and processed for recycling. Yes it costs us a little more than just bunging our weekly mountains of rubbish in industrial skips but we think it's worth the extra effort
- Our (almost) famous STORE catalogue is printed on 100% recycled paper too!
- We've been running a staff lift-share scheme here at STORE since 2005 and it's proving so popular that over half of us now travel in together
- Our STORE issue baggy fleeces may not be haute couture but they make us all toasty warm and mean that we've been able to turn the thermostat down by 2 degrees at STORE HQ which we estimate is using around 9% less energy
- The STORE staff car park has 27 motorway style lamp posts which until July 2010 wastefully lit-up our distribution centre all through the night. Thanks to the power of happy staff feedback, they now operate on an 'on demand' basis
For great tips and ideas on how you too can be a little greener visit www.recyclenow.com